best ad buy ever.
My New Year’s Resolutions
I have a large handful of New Year’s resolutions and they are all pretty easy to guess (exercise more, better life-work balance, FINALLY learn what this word “relax” means…).
But my #1 goal for this year is to get better at Ruby & Rails.
Here’s is my current plan for how to accomplish:
- Write a little bit of Ruby EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
- Work my way through Learn Ruby The Hard Way
- Work through Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial
- Read a handful of other books: Ruby Programming Ebook, Beginning Ruby on Rails, Why’s Poignant Guide to Ruby
- Keep a running list of notes (want to peek??)
- Hopefully join a study group
- Find a Ruby buddy & work togetha!
- Figure out some small projects to work on
Awesome women in tech are glamorous.
Happy Ada Lovelace Day. I am delighted to see this.
Read the article by Kara Swisher.
My quote in the Wall Street Journal, which triggered Arrington’s response last week, which opened the floodgates:
“Part of changing the ratio is just changing awareness, so that the next time Techcrunch is planning a Techcrunch Disrupt, they won’t be able to not see the overwhelming maleness of it.”
Great stuff from a smart mix of founders including Of A Kind, Artsicle, Birchbox & more - terrific, real advice and refreshing to see pushback against the raise-raise-raise narrative, which is just flat-out not right for everyone. Via NASDAQ OMX & NYTM (with extra shout-out to the tireless Jessica Lawrence).
Lena Herrmann is a woman, a mother, a feminist, a political activist and an agile developer. She is also a coach at Rails Girls Berlin, and in her free time she is also helping some of the participants of the previous workshop to build their own blogging platform. I’m not sure where she…